Investigating Precision OCD Treatments: Dr. Susanne Ahmari
Join One Mind President Brandon Staglin for a talk with Dr. Susanne Ahmari, 2018 One Mind / Janssen Rising Star Awardee, about her groundbreaking research to improve life for individuals with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).
During the live interview, Dr. Ahmari provided insightful answers to these questions:
- What has inspired you to focus on OCD research?
- You are a medical doctor in addition to a scientist. What have you learned from your patients that you can apply to improve your research? What has your research revealed that helps you help your patients?
- What would a treatment look like that could ultimately be developed from your research?
- When you envision the greatest success you can achieve in your work, what does it look like? What would that mean to you and to your patients? What do you think it will take to get you there?
- There are likely many individuals watching who have experienced OCD. Based on your experiences and research, what would you like them to know, about managing their challenges?
- In your talk at One Mind’s Music Festival for Brain Health in 2018, you refer to the idea that if we could develop a biological test for psychiatric illnesses like OCD, it could reduce the stigma involved, and put such illnesses on a more equal level of acceptance with neurological conditions, like Parkinson’s disease. This idea speaks to the potential of science to enact social change. Until there is a biological test, what can we all do to promote acceptance and empowerment of individuals with psychiatric illnesses? Can science play a role even at this stage?
- How can interested viewers get involved?
Please enjoy the recording. Comments are now closed. Thanks to all who participated!Obsessive-Compulsive DisorderSusanne AhmariTreatment Research