To the people living in Israel and Gaza, and to their friends and family members worldwide, my colleagues and I at One Mind send our heartfelt sympathies and hopes for a swift end to the horrific conflict unfolding in your lands. War has never resolved the differences between your peoples, and terrorism is never an answer. The trauma of violence and loved ones’ deaths echoes beyond individuals to communities and even entire societies. Only when peace comes can people begin to heal the ongoing, mental illness-borne suffering inflicted by these traumas.
One of my greatest heroes, Dr. Thomas Insel, former Director of the U.S. National Institute of Mental Health, recently popularized in his book Healing: Our Path from Mental Illness to Mental Health the notion that the three keys to healing are People, Place, and Purpose. In light of the nascent horrors, I add a fourth: Peace.
One Mind remains committed to healing lives throughout our world. May peace find you soon.
President, One Mind
See Related Articles:
- Coping with Trauma in Times of Crisis: The Science and Practice
- Brain Changes in Response to a Life Threat (Traumatic Event)
Need To Talk To Someone? Help is Available:
- If you or someone you know is in crisis or struggling with mental health challenges call or text 988 or chat 988lifeline.org.
Additional Mental Health Resources:
- Download our resource on How to Help a Loved One
- Discover apps reviewed by One Mind PsyberGuide
- Learn about Mental Health Conditions